If you’ve been shopping for toothpaste lately, you likely encountered an overwhelming amount of choices. The grocery aisle is stocked with shelves of different brands, flavors and types of toothpaste. Determining which one is best for you can be confusing.
One of the most obvious choices is deciding between gel, paste, and powdered forms, and this is more a matter of your personal preference. You will find that most toothpaste brands and types contain the following basic ingredients:
- Abrasive Agents – to scrub away food particles, bacteria, and minor stains.
- Flavor – an artificial sweetener ranging from mint and cinnamon to bubble gum and lemon lime.
- Humectants – a moisturizing agent that keeps your toothpaste from drying out.
- Thickeners – to give toothpaste its consistency and allow it to come out of the tube more easily.
- Detergents – sodium lauryl sulfate that makes your toothpaste foam up.
What to Look For
Beyond picking out your toothpaste type, brand and flavor, you will also want to look for one that is labeled with fluoride and tartar control. These are two essential components of your toothpaste, as they are very important weapons against tooth decay and gum disease. Lastly, don’t buy a toothpaste unless it is marked with the seal of the American Dental Association. This means the toothpaste is endorsed by the ADA and approved by most dentists.
You will also find toothpaste options that whiten your teeth, help tooth sensitivity and others. If you are unsure what your smile needs, don’t be afraid to ask your dentist. At Red Oak Family Dentistry, we welcome the opportunity to educate our patients on the best hygiene routine to follow at home. This may include a specific toothpaste, floss and mouth rinse that meets your unique dental health needs. We understand the menu of options is intimidating, and we are happy to break it down for you so that you get the most out of your daily brushing sessions.
Red Oak Family Dentistry
McKinney, TX 75071